My husband and I recently celebrated our one year wedding anniversary. For our anniversary I had decided I was going to start a new tradition by making him an A to Z Dating Book which worked out perfect because the traditional gift for one year of marriage is paper!
To make the A to Z Date book you will need:
- A cute little notebook (I bought mine at Walmart for $4)
- Glue sticks
- A couple pictures of the two of you
- Magazine numbers and letters - optional
This book took some time and planning to make. Yes I could of just printed off and pasted everything into it or skipped the whole magazine numbers and letters (Q and Z are hard to find) but I wanted it to be more personal, after all I plan on this notebook lasting our entire relationship so it shouldn't be anything tacky.
1. First I decorated the cover of my A to Z Date book. This step is of course optional if you have a really fancy or cute cover you would like to keep as is but if not then you can put whatever you want on the cover. I printed out the alphabet (A to Z) that says I love you in it, mated it to some paper and taped it to the cover using clear box tape.
2. The first page in my A to Z Date book is the cover page. It basically has the title of the book, our names and anniversary on it.
3. Next is a page showing three important dates in our relationship along with a picture from each of the three dates: When we started dating, When we got engaged and When we said "I Do".
4. For the next couple pages I made a list of 10 Reasons I'm glad I married my husband along with a few of our wedding pictures; after all, this is a wedding anniversary gift so I thought it was only appropriate to let my husband know why I love him and married him! Sorry I'm not going to share the 10 reasons with you because I want you to make your reasons personal to your relationship and not copy mine lol
5. I then wrote a cute saying I came across along with a print out of all the Anniversary Gifts by Year that I found on the internet. This list included the Modern, Traditional and Flowers that match up to that year. I don't know if we will always get gifts to go with the year but I figured it could come in handy, after all we both gave paper gifts this year.
Saying: "Love is not about how much you say I Love You but how much you prove that it's true"
6. Next is the direction page to explain how the A to Z Date book is going to work along with a list of some A to Z date ideas incase you get stuck in the future. I found this list on the internet and printed it out.
Directions: Here’s how it works…. the A to Z Anniversary tradition goal is to plan everything about your wedding anniversaries around the letter that goes with that year. Your first anniversary letter is A, your second anniversary letter is B and so on until you reach the letter Z (26 years). Once you make it all the way through the alphabet you can choose to start over with A or wait and celebrate the bigger anniversaries like 30, 40, 50, and 60. Be creative with where you go, what you eat and what you do. Don’t forget to take a picture and write it down in this awesome notebook!
7. It is now time to start on the alphabet pages. For these I combined the all about the letter dates with the ABC's of why I love you. I used magazine numbers and letters to help the letters and anniversary numbers stand out from my writing.
Here is the order I put everything in:
- Letter with a reason why I love my husband (A to Z)
- Where we went: This can be anything from the name of a town to the name of a restaurant
- What we ate: Any food or beverage you had that starts with that letter
- What we did: Activities you did (check A to Z date idea page for ideas)
- Gifts: Gifts you gave each other. These do not have to match the letter.
- Anniversary #
Leave the page across from it open so you can add a picture or pictures from your anniversary date. I also recommend typing everything up in a word document before you create this book. That way you know everything is spelled right and you can easily change it before you write it if you decide you want to use a different word/reason you love them.
|A few examples of the pages|
I gave my husband the A to Z Date book a few days early so we could plan out our date together but I had made an insert with my "All about A" date ideas just incase he wasn't up for an early gift.
For our "All about A" date aka our first anniversary we went putt putt golfing at Adventure Falls then out to eat at Applebee's where we ordered an Appetizer and Alcoholic Beverage with our meal. After dinner we watched Pitch Perfect 2 staring Anna Kendrick. As far as gifts go, I made him this awesome notebook and he made me a dozen beautiful paper carnations with coupons on the petals. As far as gifts go, I made him this awesome notebook and he made me a dozen beautiful paper carnations with coupons on the petals. Our "All about A" date turned out pretty well and we can't wait until next year when we start planning our "All about B" date.
8. After I finished all of the alphabet pages I glued a bunch of I Love You's to the back of the Z page. I then wrote a letter (not pictured) to my husband about things I think may happen over the next 26 years, how we stuck it out, how I still love him, etc... and ended it with the saying, "And I thought I loved you then".
My husband loved this gift and we can't wait to go on the other 25+ dates and come up with creative date ideas. Make this book your own and customize it with different things you love about your husband to better suit your relationship.
Check out some of our other Alphabet Dates: