Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Memory Lane Board Game

memory lane board game, DIY board game, gifts for him, anniversary gift, board game idea

My husband and I have been together five years and we have been blessed with two beautiful children. When we were dating I told him that I wanted him to make me a gift for our anniversary instead of spending a ton of money. For our one year anniversary of dating I made my husband a scrap book of our love story and he did the same, but used shutterfly to put it together. We laughed because we had the same idea. For our second dating anniversary I made him a board game called "Memory Lane" and he used a deck of card and turned them into 52 reasons why he loves me. Once again we were laughing because we both gave each other something game related, guess it was meant to be!

We celebrated our two years of dating in April 2013. We went all out for our two year anniversary and glad we did because life was about to change since we found out we were expecting shortly after. For our two year anniversary we exchanged gifts, visited the Newport Aquarium then ate at Margaritaville, followed by indoor putt putt golf and a movie. That is the most dates I've ever been on in one day and I loved every minute of it but anyways, back to how to make the board game. I'm going to go ahead and tell you now, if you are an impatient person then this gift is not for you because it is very time consuming and takes a lot of planning.


memory lane board game, DIY board game, gifts for him, anniversary gift, DIY, board game, homemade game, memory game, gift idea

What is it?

Memory Lane is a fun homemade board game that allows you to take a trip down memory lane and share some of your favorite memories with your loved ones while trying to get enough tokens to make it back home.






Rules: 

Below is a picture of the rules I made for the game. I also included a Fun Facts page (not pictured) that I printed on the back of my rules page of some fun facts that happened while making the game.

Supplies:

  • Old Board game - I bought Chutes and Ladders for $1.50 at a Peddler's Mall
  • 50-100 Index cards - cut in half
  • 18+ Standard White Name Labels - cut in half
  • Markers
  • Self Adhesive Shelf Liner - I used the Marble one from the Dollar General
  • Electric Tape or Duct Tape
  • Dice, Spinner or Both
  • Tokens - you can make your own if needed
  • Pictures of your significant other and you now and as children
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Laminator - optional
  • Spray Paint, Duct tape or Paper to decorate the box


How To:

1.  First you need to cover your board game with the self adhesive liner. I used a light marble color to make the tiles stand out. I bought the liner at the Dollar General but I've seen some at Walmart and Lowes.

2. I used Electrical Tape to outline the edges of the board. The purpose of this is to cover the edges of the adhesive liner so it won't peel up. You can also use duct tape if you would prefer but I recommend cutting it in half so it isn't as thick.

*** Do not pull the electrical tape tight because it will contract back down over time, leaving the corners uncovered.

3. Now it is time to create the game tiles. I used Standard White Name Labels for my tiles. Cut the labels in half, draw whatever you want on them, peel the backs off and stick them where they belong.  I used the Labels to make everything you see on the board: the title, tokens, etc... You will need at least 18 labels.

memory lane board game, DIY board game, gifts for him, memory lane, DIY, Do it yourself, anniversary gift, board game, craft, crafts, gift, gift idea, homemade game, homemade board game, memory lane, memory game, significant gift


4. Once your board is finished you can start making the game cards. I cut the index cards in half for my ? cards. I made over 50 ? cards and I left some blank so we could add things to the game in the future. I tried to make the ? cards relate to our life to make the game more fun. These cards have anything from gaining a token to loosing a token to moving forward or getting GROUNDED; losing a turn or stealing a token from a player of your choice. I also made three different specialty cards (Swipe a token, save and move to the free space and roll again) and a joker card (you wasted a ?).


3 Specialty Cards & the Joker
5. Make sure the cards are all facing the same direction, flip them over and draw a ? on the back of the cards. Use a highlighter because a sharpie will bleed through to the word side. 


6. I laminated the ? cards and the rules page to make the game last longer then cut them out and put a rubber band around them. Laminating is Optional.

7. Now it is time to make your game pieces. The Chutes and Ladder game I bought came with four game pieces and a spinner so I printed off pictures of our heads on computer paper of my husband and I now and when we were kids. I cut out our heads and glued them over the Chutes and Ladder characters. You can make your own people or use random objects that have significance to your family as game pieces if your board game didn't come with any.

Tokens: I used clear counter chips for my tokens but you can make your own out of paper or cardboard; use real coins or play coins, etc...

memory lane board game, DIY board game

8. Decorate your game box. I spray painted my box and kept running out of spray paint so I used four or five different colors but it turned out with a galaxy look to it so it worked out. Once the box dried I used glitter paint to write "Memory Lane" on the box. You can decorate your game box with duct tape, paper, paint or whatever you would like.

9. Put all the game pieces back in the box and wrap it up to give on your anniversary.


You can always design and print out your cards on card stock but I wanted to make mine more personal so I drew and wrote all the cards. This game takes a lot of time and planning but I'm sure your boyfriend/spouse and family will love all of the hard work you put into making it. I hope you enjoyed this blog and making your version of Memory Lane as much as I loved making mine. Comment below some of your card ideas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...