Since we started making Easy Taco Dip more frequently as a quick dinner or an appetizer, we decided that it is cheaper to make our own Refried Beans and it is a lot easier than you would think. A jar of Refried Beans usually cost $3 or more. A can of Pinto Beans cost about $0.92 so you are saving between $1 and $3 every time you decide to make your own Refried Beans. It may not sound like a lot but it can add up, especially if you make Refried Beans a lot.
Simple Refried Beans
Time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- Seasoning - Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion, Taco Seasoning, etc...
- Food Processor
1. Pour a can of Pinto Beans into a medium skillet and let simmer over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
NOTE: The bean juice should be enough but if the Pinto Beans start to dry out you need to add water to the beans. Add up to a ½ cup of water if using a full can of beans.
2. Add some salt and pepper to taste. You can add a little bit of Garlic or Onion if you prefer but we don't because we are usually making the Refried Beans for the Easy Taco Dip.
3. Optional: Add ½ a packet of taco seasoning if you are making the Refried Beans for the Easy Taco Dip.
4. Pour the Pinto Beans into a Food Processor and blend until the beans are mashed up. Pour into a bowl and serve.
There are several different ways you can make Refried Beans. You can add a bunch of different ingredients from seasonings to oils to your pinto beans as they simmer if you prefer. This recipe is very simple and very easy to make. The taco seasoning adds the perfect amount of seasoning to the beans, especially if you are making the Easy Taco Dip. Plus you save money by making your own refried beans which is always a plus in my books!