Since we found out we are having another boy, we have decided to decorate our son's nursery in navy and gray. We originally were going to do a geometric nursery but we ended up buying a couple navy items with whales on them so we decided to do a mixture of geometric and whales. The Geometric Paintings turned out pretty good but took a lot longer than I thought they would because the lines weren't straight when I pulled up the painter's tape but I was able to fix it so hopefully you will have better luck!
- Painter's Tape
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes - sponge or regular
- Clear Gloss Spray - Optional
1. Using the painter's tape, create geometric shapes. I mainly made triangles but you can make any kind of shapes or pattern you want.
Make sure to push the painter's tape down flat to keep the paint from going under it.
2. Paint your canvas. You can paint your canvas all one color or paint it a variety of colors. I used navy, gray, and light blue to paint my canvas. Let Dry.
3. Once the paint has dried, carefully pull up the painter's tape. If you are lucky your lines will be straight and you will be done!
Unfortunately some of the paint got under the painter's tape making my lines uneven as you can tell in the picture to the right so I had to fix it. I took a thin tip paint brush and carefully outlined my shapes with paint creating straighter lines. Let Dry.
4. Optional: Once your paint has dried and you are satisfied with your painting you can add a clear gloss spray to help seal your painting. This will give the painting a shine and help protect it from water and dust. I used Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover Clear Gloss Spray on my paintings. This step is of coarse Optional!
5. Hang your paintings and enjoy!!!
The Geometric Paintings are pretty easy to make and I think they look really cool. You can make the paintings in any color scheme or any geometric shape you choose. You can also have your child paint the canvas to create a canvas for their room. They are perfect for any room in your house as well. The Geometric Paintings would look good in a nursery, living room, or even the bathroom. Hopefully when you remove the painter's tape you will have straighter lines then I did so you don't have to spend extra time going over it. Happy Painting!
Since we bought some items with whales on them I decide to make the third painting of whales. I used the same colors I used for the Geometric Paintings and painted three whales on a canvas. I then used a paint pen to write the saying, "I whale always love you!" on the canvas. I then hung the three canvases above my son's crib. I like the Geometric Paintings better than the Whale painting but I think they go well together!
***Check out the Geometric Baby Mobile I made to match my son's nursery!